Sunday, July 4, 2010

Strawberry Festival

Last weekend we took the girls to the Strawberry Festival in Bellevue. It's usually right around my birthday and if the weather's nice it's a fun outing.

It's not a huge festival and most of the booths are boring (pest and window companies, realtors & chiropractors), but we found some fun things for the kids as we meandered around.

Here Eve & Naomi got to try their hand at grinding corn, just like people used to do in Bellevue.

And here the girls got to pump water, also like historical Bellevue. Eve, of course, tried to make both events into a contest.


By far the favorite event for the girls was watching the clown show. There were two clowns, Zero and Somebuddy, who were very silly. Eve got picked out the crowd by one of the clowns to chase the other clown with a giant toothbrush. She was trying to catch him so he would share some chocolate. Of course we didn't get a picture since we were caught up in watching, but Eve has a fun memory.
The girls also watched a Strawberry Shortcake Eating Contest which was a new and novel idea to both Eve and Naomi. Eve couldn't believe the contestants weren't allowed to use their hands or any utensils. And I had fun relating my own no hands pie-eating contest experience with her.
The girls also enjoyed the live music and watching some belly dancers.
My highlight was being firm with a signature collector. He was working to get the privitization of liquor sales on the ballot and I said, "No, I'm OK with having to go to the liquor store." Then he said, "This is just to get it on the ballot," and pushed his clipboard at me. So I had to say, "No, I like it the way it is. I don't want it on the ballot." Sheesh! I am such a capitalist I should be fine with liquor being sold wherever, but I don't mind at all that folks have to make a special trip for their vices. Would that tobacco had to have its own store, too!
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're not logged in, include your name so we know who you are! Thanks!