Monday, May 10, 2010

Eve asks me if she can ride her bike... in sign language!

So I was out mowing the lawn and Eve came out. Her little voice doesn't carry over the lawn mower noise, and so her first attempts at speaking didn't go anywhere. I turned around and saw her signing to me. I only know what we typically teach to babies and toddlers, and so I just stared blankly at her for a second.

It was Eve's natural instinct to start signing whatever she was saying when I couldn't hear what she said. Wow, that was a little surpising, coming from a 4-year old.

Then I went up and put my ear close to her and motioned for her to speak in my ear. Sure enough, she was asking if she could ride her bike. I said yes.

And that got me thinking... I need to ask Eve to teach me some of these new words! Also, this is obviously the effects of her watching the Signing Time DVDs from the library, which she follows along and signs to as the lady on the video directs the kids to sign along.

I highly recommend that series for any other little ones.

http://www.signingtime.com/

- Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're not logged in, include your name so we know who you are! Thanks!