Last night I had the pork roast & veggies on the menu plan. I have a great love and a great fear of pot roast because I never make it right. I am a fair cook, but I just can't get the hang of pot roast. Every time I make a roast in my crockpot it ends up dry - not the juicy pulling apart goodness my friends' moms made. My own mom never made pot roast because my dad didn't like it, and I never learned. So I called my aunt Renee, who is a great cook, to ask her about my dry roast problem. The answer was simple, add more liquid. So I added 2 cups of beef broth which tripled what my old recipe called for.
Success! The pork roast moist & delicious and the veggies were all soft and flavorful. Yay! The roast was over 3 pounds so there were lots of leftovers. Usually I would package them up for Ed's lunches, but we ate all the veggies so it would've only been a hunk of seasoned meat - about 3 days' worth.
Instead I took all the meat and cut into big hunks. I minced half onion with a tablespoon of garlic and cooked it in a tablespoon of butter. When the onion was soft I added a cup of water and all the meat hunks - About 1.5 pounds. Then I added about 2 cups of barbeque sauce, let it simmer and Voila! Pulled Pork! I've never made it before and was so excited to produce it because Ed loves it. Even better I can toss it in the freezer until next week when I'll hopefully be able to find rolls or buns to make pulled pork sandwiches.
I also was able to save the meat drippings I didn't use for gravy. I have about 3 cups in my fridge & I was able to skim the fat off the top so I am ending up with more broth than I put in the roast for extra liquid! I'll save it for my next roast - which I am no longer scared of!
kp
Thursday, December 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mmmm. It was tasty.
ReplyDelete- Ed
We love making pulled pork! Usually we just shred it right in the crock pot and mix in a ton of barbeque sauce - bam!
ReplyDelete