So I think it was when Katie and I were married and for the first time were talking about names for our first child Eve, that I mentioned it would be nice if one of each of our children's names would be a Bible name. And Katie responded, "Why not make both first and middle names Bible names?"
I thought, "Even better," and that got us on a limited but very fun path of picking names (made even more fun and creative when we kept getting girls). This is where the names have led us thus far...
Eve Hadassah Price
Naomi Priscilla Price
Joanna Jael Price
Phoebe Zeruiah Price
We basically tried to use first names that weren't common but were recognizable as names. For middle names, we tried to use cool names that we liked but wouldn't be quite as common or normal if we used them for first names.
Interestingly, that has led us to a nice mix between Hebrew and Greek names (with a British last name). I think Phoebe is the biggest mix with a very obvious Greek first name and a very obvious Hebrew middle name.
Phoebe means "bright, shining sun;" it has the same root as Apollo and Phoenix. As a person, Phoebe was a deaconess, carried Paul's letter to the Romans (the book of Romans), and she financially supported Paul and many other Christians; (Romans 16:1-2). On the list of baby names of 2009, she ranked #325 (this tells us about how many other Phoebe's she'll run into).
Zeruiah means "balm of God" (a sweet and soothing fragrance of God). She was David's sister and the mother of three of David's leading heroes/mighty men/generals: Abishai, Joab, and Asahel. We pronounce Zeruiah as Zeh-roo-yah, but I believe it is also pronounced as Zerrah-Iyah.
More Phoebe pictures are coming. Thanks!
Ed
Friday, September 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you're not logged in, include your name so we know who you are! Thanks!